About Me

My photo
NC, United States
I am a 41 year-old married woman, newly diagnosed, and living with Lupus. I hope to inspire others to re-claim their vibrancy, life and focus on the positives of everyday life. I also desperately needed a place to VENT, if only to myself. I am a born fighter... I will win this! I am mother to two wonderful daughters aged 18 & 7. I am an ECU Mom - Go Pirates! I love College Football and Hockey. I put God First in my life and then everything else falls into place :)

Monday, October 11, 2010

Sometimes Anesthesia is FUN!

I had a double procedure with biopsies done on Oct 6th that I had to have done in the hospital under total Anesthesia. Fun times people, fun times. Not because it was that big of a deal but because my Doc was concerned with being able to keep me “under” in the office/day surgery setting, with the anesthesia they are able to use. Apparently, I am used to high levels of pain but am also now used to very high doses of pain medication that would normally knock people out for a day or so. I can take a high dose and stand and talk to someone or read out of a medical journal. I don’t know why this amazes my Dr.’s but it does.

The lady admitting me said you’re way too pretty and way too young to be having a procedure like this done today. I told her she was way too kind and then said “OMG I’m 41, you must have people younger than me that get this done right?” She laughed and said that some are as young as 17 – whew. I had showered, put on make-up, beach curled my hair and smelled good. I even painted my nails and toe nails Hot Pink the night before. I figured if I had to have a procedure, I might as well look good right?

I leave pre-op finally and they are wheeling me down the hall and the nurses are gathered at the door to my room smiling? Geez people, I’m 41 what is all the fuss about? My Dr. is there waiting and looking like he walked off the cover of a GQ Mag as usual... So I know the routine. Lay on your left side and they come up behind you and put the sleepy stuff in your IV. I told my Doctor and Anesthesiologist I would take no responsibility for my actions or potty mouth when I came out of it. They asked what happened the last time I was "under" so I told them. When I went under I was immediately visited by Fairies – yes Fairies– who kept saying “don’t go back, come with us to the waterfall” and was in this dream-like setting with a lush waterfall and beautiful foliage. I was quite happy in that location and a little mad at first when I realized it was just a dream.

When I came out of that Anesthesia that time I looked at my husband, Nurse and Dr. and said verbatim (apology for language here) “OH my effn psychedelic trip!” Everyone blushed including me I think so I put my hand to my mouth and said “I am so effn sorry for my language y’all but those Fairies were weird”. Everyone got a kick out of that. I sounded like a drunken sailor but couldn’t help myself.

My Dr. told me that with this stuff he was having administered, the most common thing reported were people having erotic dreams. I am thinking OH NO, PLEASE LORD NO EROTIC DREAMS OR TALK. 

This time wasn’t as fun. I watched them put the stuff in my IV, I watched the bubble move through the tubing and it got to the IV port on my hand and I waved to my Dr. and said “night night”. I woke up smiling and said “are we gonna do this or what?” When I found out it was done I was thinking what? No Fairies, no waterfalls, no erotic dreams? Geez, no fair I feel so gyped LOL.


Thanks for reading,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment